Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Toronto Ad Company Brings Home Cannes Prize

It's the first time in the history of the Cannes Lions Prize that an ad has taken home awards for both the Cyber and Film categories furthering convergence of these two mediums. I first saw Dove's Evolution ad on YouTube last fall and immediately added it to my favorites list, it's brilliant. Since it was uploaded it's been viewed over 3.5 million times, that's a huge audience that sought out the ad and gave it their 1 minute and 15 seconds.

The ad, produced by the Toronto office of advertising empire Ogilvy & Mather, continues to demonstrate the ideal of authenticity that the Dove brand is known for. I'm continually impressed at their use of media. Two summers ago Dove presented a photo exhibit featuring real and diverse women taken by well-known female photographers (Lieibovitz for example). In tandem they were working on a documentary with Toronto prodco Telefactory and broadcaster W Network called Beauty Quest. The documentary followed a female fashion photographer in Toronto as she confronted her own ideals of beauty.

At the end of the day we all want to feel good about ourselves and know there's more to it than buying the perfect product.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gurdonark said...

Dear Sookie:

A friend of mine, cdk, is a Toronto remixer who frequently remixes at ccmixter.org.

Because he sampled one of my songs into a remix, I decided to do a music video of his remix.

I wanted to find Creative Commons photographs about Toronto, for a film called "Imagine Toronto". I chose the title because though I have been to Canada a number of times, I have never been to Toronto.

I went to Creativecommons.org, to find flickr.com photos licensed into the Creative Commons. Whereas usually in such endeavors I must use and credit dozens of artists to make a full-length video, I found that you have compiled a wonderful set of Toronto photographs in your flickr.com collection.

I therefore made "Imagine Toronto" highlighting your work as the centerpiece of the visuals, to accompany cdk's music and some "curious facts" I developed to leaven up the action.

Thank you for putting your pictures into the creative commons. I gave you attribution, but if you'd like me to put more at the youtube site about you I'll be happy to do so.

best, robert
http://www.negativesoundinstitute.com

18:26  
Blogger Gurdonark said...

My goodness! I left out the URL. It's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9prR2uQc8tM

best, robert, who records as gurdonark

18:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home