Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Animal Rights and Abattoirs


Piggies!
Originally uploaded by Pigalina.
I'm one of many people who call the increasingly dense community at Bathurst and King home, but for me it's only from nine to five. Condos are sprouting up like blades of grass in springtime and the area is having a hard time keeping up with increased needs for green space, parking and garbage collection. I've heard the new inhabitants complain and see the garbage blowing about, but there's one thing I haven't heard them complain about, and its the main reason I wouldn't call this place my evening home, or even consider buying a condo in this area. It's that the abattoirs (slaughter houses) on nearby Niagara blow their putrid stank all over this community. It makes no sense to keep these facilities here while Toronto attempts to revitalize and cleanse the city.

I feel particularly compelled to complain since I've been vegetarian for over five years and have a hard time every morning as I pass the truck of bovines on Lakeshore Blvd on their way to meet their destiny. Today was -12C as I passed the sorry fellas in the open-air truck. Normally their cute little snouts are sticking out smelling the last of the sea air before they are sedated, but today an extreme cold warning was issued (with the added wind chill) and these guys were not moving at all. Isn't that an animal rights issue? I couldn't say how long their drive is but I'm sure some were frozen to death before reaching the knife.

Up at Keele and St.Clair, townhomes also border the stockyards and I've driven past trucks loading up animal bits. Can this not be contained? Can something not be done about the smell that wafts over Torontonians homes? Can we not just stop eating so many helpless animals? Why all the suffering?

As a vegetarian I try not to rant in the stereotypical way expected of “people like me” but I hear it coming at me more often than I’ve delivered it. Perhaps part of my despair comes from the bonds I created with pigs and other farm animals while on my Grandma’s farm in Denmark. I wanted to take one home with me. Does no one else understand that these are creatures of the world too?

Karma does.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree with you. I used to see the trucks pass by on Lakeshore, and I'd stick my hand in there and pet the pigs before their slaughter. That place stinks, worse than anything I've ever smelled before. I can just imagine the pollution coming out of there....
People obviously think they own this world. They will not stop until every tree has been chopped down, every child will have asthma and every living mammal in the ocean will go extinct! Sick, but there's nothing me and you can do about it. Take care, and thank you for posting this.
Ana

17:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh yayayayayayay that's my piggies picture :)
Abattoirs are gross, and I symapthize about the smell it is putrid.
Keep up the good work!
Pigalina.

03:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i'm fresh on here. I came accross this site I have found It exceedingly helpful and it's helped me so much. I should be able to contribute and help other users like it has helped me.

Thank You, See You About.

10:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha i am fresh here. I came accross this forum I find It very accessible and it has helped me a lot. I hope to give something back & support others like it has helped me.

Thanks, See You Later

02:17  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya im new to this, I came accross this website I find It very helpful & its helped me tons. I should be able to give something back and assist other people like its helped me.

Thanks, See You Around.

13:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya im fresh here, I came upon this forum I find It exceedingly useful and it's helped me loads. I should be able to contribute & aid other users like its helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later

03:41  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi im new on here, I stumbled upon this message board I have found It extremely useful & it's helped me out tons. I should be able to contribute & help other people like its helped me.

Thanks Everyone, See You About.

03:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello i'm new to this. I came accross this forum I find It incredibly helpful and its helped me alot. I hope to contribute and assist other people like its helped me.

Cheers, See You Later.

06:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey i'm fresh to this, I came accross this board I have found It vastly helpful and its helped me out a lot. I should be able to give something back and guide other people like its helped me.

Thanks, See Ya Later.

22:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya i'm fresh to this. I came accross this message board I have found It positively accommodating & it's helped me alot. I hope to contribute & guide other users like it has helped me.

Thank You, Catch You Later

10:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home