Monday, February 19, 2007

Stylegarage Lights it Up


Well before the condo signs started popping up on Queen West, modern furniture boutique stylegarage had made its mark on the artsy neighbourhood. From its wrap-around windows lined with eye-catching lighting, the shop, on a quiet corner of Shaw, exudes muted and sleek sophistication. It was enough to draw me in. I'd been on a hunt for a wide and low television stand with large industrial wheels for awhile and decided to browse the boutique to see if I could find it.

Inside the design store, each modern line blended fluidly with the next, allowing their most stunning showpieces - made of grained walnut, oak, maple and douglas fir - to get full attention. Whether it's their leather sofas characterized by topstitching you'll love or chunky Canadian wood coffee tables it's obvious they design furniture to last a lifetime.

Since I've always lived in old Toronto houses with little built-in lighting I get especially excited for modern lamps of any kind. One brushed stainless-steel wall-mounted piece caught my eye. The simple style mixed with a clear vintage bulb and exposed filaments (also sold at stylegarage) would look fantastic in any pseudo-industrial space.

Though I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, friendly staff reassured me they could custom make most things. Seems they have a very close partnership with Toronto design manufacturer Gus Modern, the company that supplied the loft furniture for Martha Stewart's prime-time show The Apprentice. While Martha's run might be over you can still catch the design items at the Queen Street store or at the upcoming Interior Design Show - February 22nd to the 25th.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home